Site of Tacoma's First School
This plaque marks the location of Tacoma's first public school built in 1869. The school was a one-room log structure, built at a cost of $300 dollars. There were 13 pupils in the first student body.
In 1875, the school mysteriously burned down.
No one was hurt in the fire. The teacher, Mr. John Hipkins, relocated the school in the upper rooms of a building on the corner of 30th & Starr.