The Spar was the 3rd brick building built in Old Town. It began as the Radonich Brothers Store which opened in 1917. According to the Spar's website, " The Radonich brothers operated it as a men's furnishings store, a billiard parlor, a soft drink establishment, and by the 1920's as a restaurant called the Spar."
The main floor always housed a small business on the SW corner. The first was a "fishing headquarters store", but most Old Town residents remember it being a grocery store. The lower floor of the building housed a bowling alley.
The Spar has a history of being a favorite hangout for local workers who manned Tacoma's docks, shipyards, sawmills, fishing boats, and the smelter in Ruston, as well crews from visiting ships in earlier years.