General McCarver (Photo: Hunt's History of Tacoma)
This marker shows the location of General Morton McCarver's House. General McCarver arrived here in 1868. He talked Job Carr into selling most of his land, so that he could encourage people and businesses to move to Tacoma. McCarver's original house at this location burned down in 1926. The brick house that now occupies this lot was built by Frank Berry in the late 1950s.
McCarver's efforts (and Job Carr's hospitable nature) helped establish Tacoma as a bustling town, but they were both sadly disappointed when the railroad's terminus was established 2.5 miles south of "Tacoma City" - the area that became today's downtown neighborhood. Though McCarver is considered to be one of the founders of Tacoma, he never realized the kind of riches he had hoped to earn from the sale of land to the railroad.