Early European settlers reported Pahi’s Village – a Kai Tahu settlement of forty houses was situated here. The small island, Matariki, was once a defended pa site.
This is number 36 on the Southern Scenic Route Map and number 12 on the Riverton-Aparima Heritage Trail Map.
Pahi (Pahia) as it was originally named by Maori settlers after Ngai Tahu Chief Pahi, has long been an important cultural and historical Maori settlement site. During the 1820s Pahi boasted one of the oldest and largest villages in coastal Murihiku, consisting of 40–50 whare (houses).
When English sealer John Boultbee arrived at Pahi in 1826 he found Jack Price (a sealer) living as a Pakeha Maori with his Maori wife Hinewhitia. Pahi’s village had by then become a bustling centre of exchange and contact between Maori and European traders. Sealers and flax merchants traded flax and potatoes for iron goods, muskets, powder and shot.
During earlier tribal hostilities between Ngati Mamoe and Ngai Tahu in the 1700s, the fortified pa on Matariki Island, which lies just offshore, was a place of refuge in times of threatened warfare. The 1997 Ngai Tahu Deed of Settlement returned Matariki Island and the small rocky islet to the Ngai Tahu Tribe.
Captain George Thomson, Harbourmaster of Bluff and brother to J T Thomson, the surveyor, was the first settler and named the property Cozy Neuk, after his homeland Scottish village.
Cosy Nook Introduction
This audio introduces the township of Colac Bay and it's attractions. It also introduces nearby attraction Cosy Nook.